Thursday 29 July 2010

The swim in more detail - part 2


Tue 20 July 2010 - I got up at 2am, as did Andrea, my girlfriend and my mum and dad, who were all staying with me at Varne Ridge. We set about mixing the Maxim for my swim. Maxim is a carbohydrate drink that I was using as fuel for the swim. It was a team effort and everyone got involved. I had a breakfast of toasted cheese - which is, as Don pointed out to me, the breakfast of champions.

At 3.15am we finished loading up the car, said goodbye to Andrea and my mum, and me and my Dad headed down to Dover marina. I picked up a couple of parking tickets for the marina and met up with Don and Rob who had just arrived from London.

There were a few other people milling around the marina, who were all off on various boats, either swimming or supporting a swimmer. Just after 4am Suva, our boat, arrived and we started loading up. The captain of Suva is Neil Streeter, ably helped by Adrian. The observer for my swim was Irene, which was great because she is one of the volunteers on the beach and so I had a friendly face, who I knew on my boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment