Thursday 29 July 2010

The swim in more detail - part 3 - from the harbour to Samphire Hoe


Once Suva was loaded we left the harbour and headed to the start point. Initially we were going to Shakespeare Beach but, as the tide was pushing hard, Neil decided we should start from Samphire Hoe.
As we left the harbour, the sun was just coming up and the sunrise was beautiful. Also, the sea was flat and glassy, the conditions were perfect. I got changed into my speedos, hat and goggles and Don began covering me with shed loads of sun cream. The weather recently has been amazing, but due to my pale colouring, I have already resigned myself to the fact that I am going to be frazzled today. Putting suncream on at 5 in the morning and expecting it to last until 4 in the afternoon is a big ask. However Don did a great job, as you can see from the pictures. He then made sure I had vaseline in all the areas where you can get chafing and I was ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment